List building is the pump of your business.
Long-term sustainability in business is all about relationships, relationships, relationships! That’s why it’s important to think of list building as the “pump” of your business. List building is what keeps your business going and growing.
Yep, it’s that important!!
Here are TEN simple ideas for growing your list (and your cash, too):
- Be sure you have a lead magnet on your website. You know, that’s the freebie, free gift, subscribe bribe or irresistible free offer, you use to attract your ideal clients and entice them to share their name and email address when they visit your website.
- Always have more than one lead magnet. If you only have one lead magnet, don’t get nervous! Content is easy when you know the magic word: repurpose. (TIP: I’m actually going to take this quick email content about list building to create a new lead magnet. Yep, THAT’S the beauty of repurposing your content.)
- Make it easy for your ideal client to share their name and email address by using an email marketing service like MailChimp. MailChimp is constantly upgrading and creating new add-ons so it’s a great option if you want to start with something free and build. My personal favorite is Active Campaign because it’s a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) tool and offers more robust additions to staying connected with my email list. You can also use pop-ups or status bars to highlight your freebie to website visitors with apps like Sumo.
- Make it easy for your ideal client to access your freebie by using a cloud storage application or warehouse “vault,” like Box or Amazon Web Services (AWS). I use both but I especially love Box because I can create custom links and set an expiration date for the links. It’s great for encouraging decisive action AND I don’t even have to babysit the link. Gotta love that!
- Add a video or audio to your thank you page to introduce yourself. Include your name, what you do, who you serve and what they can expect to experience next.
- Add a trip wire to your thank you page as a one-time offer to buy one of your digital products at a deeply discounted investment. For example, if you have a digital product that has a regular investment of $197, offer it for $17; or, if the regular investment is $97, offer it for $7. This is a quick way to add zeros to your income!
- Be sure every lead magnet points to the page with your trip wire. Once you’ve created one thank you page, you can use it as a template to create additional thank you pages for specific programs or pipelines.
- Build out a series of emails to nurture the relationship. Your automated sequence of emails will offer your subscriber value, value and more value. It’s not enough for your ideal client to subscribe; they’re getting to know, like and trust you. If you use this tip and do it well, you’re creating a bond with a lifelong client!
- Take your list building to the next level (and, the 21st century), by asking for a cell phone number for text reminders. Why? Because research shows your ideal clients are far more likely to read and respond to text messages than emails. It’s not a slam dunk but for clients who are genuinely interested AND they use their cell phones often, it can increase your exposure. I highly recommend Call Loop because it’s so easy to use.
- Lastly, write conversation, engaging emails in your email sequences. Remember, you’re writing to one person at a time and that’s how you want your ideal clients to read what you’ve written. Have fun, be yourself and engage your clients in the experience of you.
Remember, I said list building is the “pump” that keeps your business going and growing?
So, how’s the pump for your business working?
Leave a comment and let me know how I can support you.